Sunday, March 29, 2020

Seems every time I start posting - I'm Alabama bound ...

Thursday, March 26, 2020, we headed out from Livingston, Texas, where we had lived since September of 2019.  Since we had "used" our allotted six months stay, we had made reservations for Rainbow Plantation in Summerdale, Alabama.  We had stayed in Alabama when I made my first post here in 2019.  Such different times, however. 

We came back to Rainbow Plantation because we had loved it.  Every morning trips to the beach, going to the parks.  However, this year, we would be under stay-in-place orders.

We headed out, not knowing what to expect through the trip.  Traffic was almost non-existent in Texas.  Numerous semi's, a couple of RV's, even fewer cars.  Stopped and got gas.  The store had a sign up regarding number of people permitted in at one time.  Once inside, pylons separated everyone at six feet.  Store signs also mentioned that they would be closed by 8:00 p.m..

I, actually, enjoyed the drive.  Used cruise control in the far right lane, let all the big guys zoom by in the left lane.  Became almost boring - until we got to Baton Rouge, Louisiana.  You would've thought we were in a different country.  Normal rush hour traffic, cars zooming in and out of lanes.

I really did not want to stop in Louisiana for fuel.  My crazy brain could just see all the corona germs jumping around the gas stop.  Hubby wore a glove while pumping.  I didn't use the restroom, or go in the store. 

We had to stop a second time for gas.  I was almost shaking.  All we could find was small, in the mall parking lot, gas stations.  We argued about whether I could make it in and out.  Bam, I tore up the sewer outlet.  Didn't even stay to fill up.  Took forever to find a way out of the station.

Finally, right before arriving in Mississippi, we got gas.  As I pulled out, got to the on ramp, someone yelled and honked - "you've got a flat."  I was - what's next!!!???

We pulled over right at the exit, in the big striped spot.  Well, I didn't know that we do not have any tire iron.  Yup, that's right.  Not one.  Not for the truck.  Not for the RV.  I hadn't bought any "help" kind of insurance.  I figured we'd use the Texas DOT phone number.   But we're not in Texas.

I can get mean in situations.  Hubby asks what to do.  I said stand out there and look at it.  Yes, very mean.  But I was very angry.  I looked up Louisiana's help line.  They were sending someone out.  For FYI, try calling any states DOT for simple help.  They'll help with tires, jump starts, simple problems, for free.

But him standing there looking at it actually helped.  A very nice young gentleman stopped to help.  And he had all kinds of tire tools, including a jack.  I canceled the DOT. 

As I drove away, I gave God a big "thank you."  I called Rainbow Plantation to let them know we were running late.  I had another two hours of driving to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment